This initiative is one of a series of plans we are implementing this season as we work together with our clubs and leagues to promote the key messages of The FA’s Respect programme, whilst also tackling a negative perception of behaviour in the game, as seen in feedback obtained from our players, referees, clubs and leagues over the last 18 months.
Steve Honey, Discipline & Governance Manager at Oxfordshire FA, said: “Oxfordshire FA look to reward clubs who show exemplary behaviour both on and off the field of play. By publishing these fair play tables, it gives clubs an opportunity to see how discipline compares with all other teams within their league.
"Throughout the season, Oxfordshire FA will look to promote and acknowledge the teams who occupy the top three places for each league division. There will also be a special reward for those teams who finish top of each sanctioned league’s respective fair play table at the end of the season.
"This is a positive approach to discipline, educating all players and participants of the game which in turn will hopefully bring more enjoyment to football in Oxfordshire."
Based on the discipline records of affiliated teams the Fair Play Table works by recognising and rewarding the top teams with the fewest discipline points from each division in every adult league.
A team's disciplinary record is currently based on a points system, dependant on the type of offence and these are explained in detail below:
A) Cautions =
- 1 Point for each offence (with the exception of cautions for Dissent which will attract 2 Points).
B) Sending Offs =
- S1 - Serious Foul Play - 5 Points
- S2 - Violent Conduct - 6 Points
- S3 - Spits at an Opponent - 7 Points
- S4 & S5 - Denies an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity - 3 Points
- S6 - Offensive, Insulting and/or Abusive Language - 4 Points
- S7 - Second Caution - 3 Points
C) Misconduct Charges =
- 5 points minimum per case, subject to any increase by the Disciplinary Commission.
To view the Fair Play Table for your league and Division, please click here.
For more information about the Fair Play Tables or to talk to somebody about Discipline and Governance please contact Steve Honey, or Sam Charles by calling 01993 894401.