County progress in FA Cup

Oxfordshire FA's young representative squad progressed to the third round of the national FA county Youth Cup this month when secured victory in the b

In front of a lively crowd at Carterton FC, Oxfordshire FA and Berks & Bucks FA met each other for the first time in this prestigious competition where a minutes silence was observed before the game to mark the passing of Patrick O'Flanagan (Member of the OFA Council and staunch supporter of the Representative Team).

On a very good playing surface both teams produced a very good standard of football. It was Oxfordshire FA who opened the scoring after 5mins from a corner taken by Nathan Simms and headed home by captain Sam Kemp (1-0). Although the play was open and end to end, Berks & Bucks FA struck the post after 16mins and Kei Chamberlain - who was to be a thorn in the B/B defence all afternoon - had a shot well saved on 22mins.

However hesitancy in the Oxfordshire FA defence allowed Berks & Bucks FA to equalize on 29mins (1-1). Oxfordshire FA should have regained the lead a minute later but Chamberlain shot wide after beating three players when well placed.

A few moments later on 34mins Oxfordshire FA did regain the lead when Ahmed Farah shot home from the edge of the box to make it 2-1. From there Oxfordshire FA were playing some very good possession football and another goal on 36mins as a result of a free kick out wide was headed on by Horatio Hirst and captain Sam Kemp scored from very close range.(3-1).

On 40mins a penalty was awarded to Oxfordshire FA, this after Kei Chamberlain was fouled inside the box. The penalty was then converted by Ahmed Farah sending the keeper the wrong way to make it 4-1. Berks & Bucks FA pulled a goal back on the stroke of half time when a long ball forward was headed over the advancing keeper, the half ending 4-2.

Very early on in the second half, Oxfordshire FA were piling on the pressure again with Sam Kemp seeing a header saved and the a goal-line clearance. A couple of free kicks to Oxfordshire FA followed but they were unable to take advantage of the opportunities until Sami Khawaja scored the games best goal on 55mins. The result of an eight player passing movement across the park saw substitute Arthur Osofsky's right footed cross fly into the six yard box before being firmly headed home from close range (5-2).

On 63mins Oxfordshire FA had two attempts cleared off the line. With Oxfordshire FA making two further substitutions, it was Berks & Bucks FAs time to have a strike blocked on the line on 68mins. A couple of minutes later, the visitors clawed one back to reduce the arrears to 5-3.

With Oxfordshire FA content to conserve their energies, Berks & Bucks FA took control of the second half and had the majority of possession and attempts at goal; at one point forcing Oxfordshire FA keeper, Jake Pritchard to make a flying save from a free kick in the 85min but ultimately their finishing lacked the necessary impact.
The match finished 5-3 to the home side with Oxfordshire FA now through to the third round of the competition where they have a tough home tie against Nottinghamshire FA on 10 December 2016.

Photos of the match are available to view on our Facebook page.

Related News

View All