What is it?
Club Matters covers a wide range of topics that can create, sustain or develop a sports club. They offer free downloadable resources, interactive online learning modules and face to face workshops that cover four key areas:
There are 10 online modules that you can complete which will cover specific topics within the four key area’s outline. Examples of these are:
• Simple finance – This workshop will provide you with sufficient knowledge to help you understand finances of your club; regardless of your experience in the area. This workshop will cover a range of areas including income and expenditure accounts, balance sheets and many more topics.
• Get your cash flowing – This workshop will provide you with plenty of practical tips and examples of how to manage club cash effectively so that you can sustain/develop your sports club. It will cover the importance of timing your cash flow, how to plan your cash flow for the future and how to generate cash effectively.
• Organisation structure – This workshop will provide you with an outline of what legal structure is best suit your club. It is designed to increase your awareness in the area and help you make an informed decision on what structure is best – covering the differences between corporate/incorporate status, charitable status and CASC status.
• Developing a marketing strategy – This workshop will provide you with a good practice outline and approach to developing a marketing strategy for your club. It will cover the key aspects of a marketing strategy and detail what you can do to market your club to existing and potential members.
There are also a further 6 workshops that you can attend, which will be led by a member of the club matters team. Workshops are usually two hours each and are open to anybody involved in a sports club. Examples of these are:
• Understanding your club finances
• Understanding the options for club structures
• Developing a business plan
Club Improvement Tool
Club Matters also offers a Club Improvement Tool, which is an online development tool for clubs of all sizes and stages of development. Anyone involved in running the club can complete this, and if you want to do it as a group (e.g. committee) you can download a copy to discuss offline at a meeting. You can also save your responses at any time.
It’s easy to complete and should take up to 15 minutes. To complete it, you simply read each question and click on the statement that best matches your clubs situation now and then where you would like to be in the future.
For areas where you need help, the tool will generate a tailored development plan and signpost you to recommended resources to help you develop your club. The tool is to be used as guidance and may not be exactly what your club needs.
Want to get involved?
To gain access to these excellent resources, visit www.sportenglandclubmatters.com to create a free account and log in.